As the growing season winds down at Triple M Farm, farmer Greg Anderson shares what’s ahead for the winter months.
Find out about the Thanksgiving bag to add some locally grown vegetables to your Thanksgiving feast and more in this week’s Farm Fresh Podcast.
Listen for the Farm to Table segment on WJBC Radio every Wednesday at 12:45 p.m.
Greg and Mariah Anderson planted the seeds for their business with 300 mums in 2009. Today, Triple M Farm has grown and blossomed into a much bigger venture marketing 10,000 mums annually plus fresh produce, bedding plants and more.
Hear about their farm’s story and what it takes to grow fresh produce in central Illinois from Greg in this week’s Farm Fresh Podcast.
Listen every Wednesday at 12:45 p.m. for the Farm to Table segment on WJBC Radio.
Looking for the perfect pumpkin for your front step? Or maybe some mums to fill out your fall flower bed? Central Illinois has plenty to offer!
After all, when it comes to pumpkins – Illinois is the cream of the crop! Illinois farmers grow 80-85% of the world’s supply of processing pumpkins (used to make canned pumpkin puree & pie filling) and the majority of those are grown right here in the central part of the state.
Check out a few upcoming opportunities to visit the country, experience a little taste of agriculture and maybe pick up a pumpkin:
- Explore local farm history with the 2015 McLean County Barn Tour Sat., Sept. 12 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. featuring interesting barns, antique farm equipment and more. The self-guided tour and begins at the Chenoa United Methodist Church and is sponsored by McLean County Barn Keepers.
- Rader Family Farms opens this weekend (Sept. 12). Located just west of Normal (look for the pumpkin topped silo), Rader’s offers plenty of pumpkins, a corn maze, kid-friendly activities, food & special events throughout the season.
- Also this weekend, you can head south for the Route 10 Farm Crawl Sun., Sept. 13 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with activities at Mariah’s Mums & More, Timberview Alpaca Farm & Wagon Wheel Pumpkin Farm near Clinton, Illinois.
- For more pumpkin treats and festival fun, head to the Pumpkin Capital of the World for the Morton Pumpkin Festival Sept. 16-19, 2015. Sample the savory and the sweet with everything from pumpkin chili to pumpkin donuts & ice cream.
- And if apples are what you’re after, check out Country Mist Apple Farm near Heyworth, Curtis Orchard near Champaign or Tanner’s Orchard north of Peoria.
Just remember when you venture out into the country, watch out for farm equipment! Harvest is just beginning for corn & soybeans, so be alert for slow moving vehicles on the roads. Slow down, pass with caution & be safe!
What are your favorite ways to celebrate Fall?