To mandate labeling or not to mandate labeling? that is the current question about foods made with ingredients containing ‘GMOs’ or Genetically Modified Organisms.
Take a deeper look at the issue with Tamara Nelsen, Senior Director of Commodities for Illinois Farm Bureau in this week’s Farm Fresh Podcast.
For more about GMOs check out our Pinterest Board.
Listen to the Farm to Table segment every Wednesday at 12:45 p.m. on WJBC Radio.
Did you know that yesterday (Aug. 27) was #NationalBurgerDay? Thank you, social media for the heads up.
Coincidentally, there’s also a headline grabbing story floating around this week about the safety of ground beef. Let’s take a better look:
- From Food Insights, here’s a few facts and myths to explore about the safety of ground beef. Bottom line: bacteria doesn’t care where your beef came from – wash your hands & cook it to the right temperature (160 degrees)!
- For another perspective, check out this article from High Plains Journal. The good news: almost all of the bacteria found in the “study” was not the kind that cause serious foodbourne illnesses
- Reading past the headlines is important, especially when it comes to blurbs about scientific studies, as pointed out in this LA Times article.
- And here’s an article from Business Insider that looks at some potential problems with the ground beef safety “study”.
- For some tips on ways to safely store, handle, thaw & cook beef check here.
What’s your favorite way to eat a hamburger?